Some of my favorite memories include:
- dad getting me the job there
- dad working the midnight shift there as a security guard
- dad's 40th birthday party (April 1981)
- Matt Switanowski
- serving dinner to Ozzy Osbourne
- meeting Aldo Nova
- meeting Adam Ant
- meeting Mickey Gilley
- meeting Ricky Nelson (and the beautiful blonde in the room with
- partying in the parking lot
- smoking cigarettes along the service drive outside the back door
- meeting Edgar Winter
- Piper's Restaurant
- the record album sales event
- buying fool's gold at one of the shows
- working with Matt Switanowski, Lois Womack, Kim Wiggins, Sherri
Daigneault, Simone, Mark Detheridge, Shirley Paquette, Charlie Wagner,
Joy, Gerri (died of a heart attack in the kitchen), Marie Snow, Tom,
Tammy, Dennis Pratt. Pam (cute young blonde). also Pam's brother and
mom (her mom was Matt Switanowski's girlfriend), Jeannie Snow
- Fresh prime rib, sirloin and NY strip steaks, lobster
- Matt Switanowski's famous (limp) pizza made with bread dough
- getting arrested in Hazel Park for drag racing, then being immediately
released when mentioning I worked at the Holiday Inn
- free steaks and prime rib
- brakes going out on the Plymouth Scamp
- Plymouth Arrow getting hit in the parking lot
- running the entire place on 3 people on Sunday nights. Lois Womack
behind the front desk, Kim Wiggins as hostess and waitress, myself as
cook, dishwasher, bartender, room service, porter, etc.....
- calling Barry Weber to tell him Ozzy Osbourne was there, and him
showing up 20 minutes later with a carload of people. They stalked Ozzy
and waited for him and Sharon to show up at the Renaissance Center later
that evening (hey Barry, I never did get any of those pics from you
- calling my sister Sue to tell her Adam Ant was there. She showed
up with a few friends and stalked Adam and the band at the old Abbey
theatre at 14 Mile & I-75. The band tried to go incognito, but Sue
and her friends were not about to let that happen !
- Aldo Nova telling me he needed some cold milk and a slice of warm
cherry pie "for a sick rock and roll singer who needed it before
heading out to his show that evening"
- to the only person who ever wanted his "exact change"
after I delivered a room service order, only to discover later there
was a SECOND $10 bill stuck to the back of the one they gave me :)
- finding out years later that Matt Switanowski was cooking the books,
got stripped of his cash and retirement, and kicked out the door
- Shirley Paquette chain smoking while cooking. I'm sure there were
many dinners that went out with extra ashes on them !
- Charlie Wagner living next door to Shirley in Hazel Park. We all
thought they were getting together outside of work (though they would
never admit it!)
- going to work with a good Jack Daniels buzz one day that I put on
before work at the Rainbow Inn. Matt Switanowski then proceeded to give
me the rest of the night off work
- being up on the roof waving at people during the Hazel Park Memorial
- delivering room service breakfast to Ricky Nelson in his room. A
beautiful blonde answered the door and had me put the breakfast on the
bed. She woke him to sign the check. I had to make MANY copies of that
check for the women I worked with !
- driving around Hazel Park for hours before work
- leaving work one night to horns honking all over town. The Tigers
had just won the 1984 World Series !
- Hazel Park officer Foley who always hung out in the restaurant
- finding marijuana near the dance floor after a Michigan State Police
- starting smoking cigarettes because everyone else at work did it,
and we used to get garbage bags full of Barclay's cigarettes to give
away as promotions
- getting free leftover cases of Stroh's beer after the Detroit River
- getting lifted horizontally over the head of Pam's brother Ed after
telling him "I'll make your mother some food after I finish my
cigarette". His mother was General Manager Matt Switanowski's girlfriend.
Never did that again !
- "Pronto" breakfasts (scrambled eggs with ham)
- working as breakfast cook about 2 times. I didn't know the difference
between "over easy" and "over hard" with eggs. I
cooked them all the same, and had no complaints.
- Matt Switanowski's flaming hot chili. Him and I were the only people
that would eat it !
- Cooking fresh lobster with Matt Switanowski
- freshly steamed crab legs
- taking pride in everything I did !
- setting up and tearing down banquets
- memories with other friends Lisa Durantini, Tony Brazeel
- hanging out with Joanne, an older woman (relative to me at the time)
- Cindy Dooge, Sales/Marketing person with the office next to the
- Tim and his brother Dave who worked there. Tim was 6 foot 5 and
weighed 120 !